Commerce for everyone
At Shopware, we are committed to creating inclusive and barrier-free shopping experiences for our merchants and their customers.
Shopware is for everyone
Accessibility is not just a goal; it's a fundamental value that drives us to continuously enhance our products and services. By prioritizing accessibility, we are not only ensuring compliance with legal requirements but also extending our reach to untapped audiences for our merchants.
To achieve true accessibility, we adhere to the industry-leading guidelines set forth by the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
(WCAG) 2.1 AA and Barrier-Free Information Technology Regulation
(BITV 2.0). These guidelines are paramount in shaping web accessibility standards and will serve as the foundation for the upcoming accessibility law, the "Barrierefreiheitsstärkungsgesetz," which will be effective for online stores in Germany in 2025.
Learn more about the Barrierefreiheitsstärkungsgesetz (only available in German)
Our commitment extends beyond compliance. We are determined to be fully prepared well before the accessibility law takes effect. While we may not currently conform to all aspects of
WCAG 2.1 AA, we are working diligently to bridge the gap. Our target is to achieve full conformance by the end of the year, ensuring our merchants' online shops are accessible to all.
Understanding WCAG Guidelines
- Familiarizing the entire company with the WCAG guidelines, particularly
WCAG 2.1, which provides a comprehensive framework for web accessibility at Shopware.
- Studying how the principles of Perceivable, Operable, Understandable, and Robust affect our product.
Setting Accessibility Goals
- Defining clear accessibility goals and objectives for our product. In the first step we decided on a conformance level of at least AA based on your target audience and legal requirements.
- Start making changes to your product based on (audit findings and) focus areas.
- Updating our code and make necessary structural alternations.
- Initiating organizational structures to ensure new content and features will also be designed with accessibility in mind.
- We engage with users with disabilities for testing and feedback an incorporate their insights to refine our changes.
- This includes performing usability testing with assistive technologies such as screen readers and voice commands.
Education and Training
- Training our development and design teams on accessibility principles and techniques.
- Fostering a culture of accessibility awareness within the Shopware organization.
- Documenting our accessibility efforts, guidelines, and standards.
- Creating an accessibility statement or page that informs users about your commitment to accessibility.
Continuous Monitoring and Improvement
- Accessibility is an ongoing process. We continuously monitor our product for new accessibility challenges.
- Staying updated with the latest WCAG guidelines and accessibility practices.
Shopware is unwavering in its dedication to fostering a digital environment that's welcoming and accessible for everyone. We understand that accessibility is an ongoing journey, and we're committed to continuous improvement. Our shared goal is to empower our merchants to connect with a wider audience and offer unparalleled shopping experiences.
Meeting the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)
For more information, see the following resources:
Stark Figma Plugin – Stark makes it effortless to design accessible products by helping you to meet current accessibility standards.
Contrast Checker – test colour contrast compliance with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)